Director, Intramural Clinical Research Center Force, CONRAD
Director, Clinical Research Center, Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine, EVMS
Professor, Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology, EVMS
Active Staff Member, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
Dr. Archer earned his medical degree from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He went on to complete his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Louisville General Hospital, research fellowships in reproductive endocrinology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and was an NIH Postdoctoral Fellow in Feto-placental Steroidogenesis with the Swedish Medical Research Council. He also served as Chief of the Outpatient Department of the US Army Hospital at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, while a Captain in the US Medical Corps. Dr. Archer's research interests focus on menopause, oral contraception, and hormone replacement therapy. He is a past president and a past member of the Board of Directors of the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) and is a current member of the Medical Advisory Panel for Women's Health under the aegis of the National Committee on Quality Assurance. Dr. Archer has published extensively on hormone replacement therapy and endometrial bleeding. He has been an examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is the editor of Menopausal Medicine, a publication of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, and is on the editorial board of Menopause, the journal of the North American Menopause Society.
- Contraceptive Efficacy, Safety, Fit, and Acceptability of a Single-Size Diaphragm Developed With End-User Input.
- Low-dose levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol patch and pill: a randomized controlled trial.
- Vaginal cytokines do not differ between postmenopausal women with and without symptoms of vulvovaginal irritation
- Pharmacokinetics of subcutaneous depot medroxyprogesterone acetate injected in the upper arm.
- TSPY4 is a novel sperm-specific biomarker of semen exposure in human cervicovaginal fluids; potential use in HIV prevention and contraception studies
- Toward early safety alert endpoints: exploring biomarkers suggestive of microbicide failure
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate and estradiol cypionate injectable suspension (Cyclofem) monthly contraceptive injection: steady-state pharmacokinetics
- The importance of pharmacokinetic studies in drug development
- Contraceptive efficacy, acceptability, and safety of C31G and nonoxynol-9 spermicidal gels: a randomized controlled trial
- Levonorgestrel effects on serum androgens, sex hormone-binding globulin levels, hair shaft diameter, and sexual function
- Bazedoxifene/conjugated estrogens (BZA/CE): incidence of uterine bleeding in postmenopausal women
- Ovarian activity and safety of a novel levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol continuous oral contraceptive regimen
- Effects of doxycycline on serum and endometrial levels of MMP-2, MMP-9 and TIMP-1 in women using a levonorgestrel-releasing subcutaneous implant
- Effects of progesterone, levonorgestrel and medroxyprogesterone acetate on apoptosis in human endometrial endothelial cells
- Effects of ethinyl estradiol and ibuprofen compared to placebo on endometrial bleeding, cervical mucus and the postcoital test in levonorgestrel subcutaneous implant users
- Cervicovaginal colposcopic lesions associated with 5 nonoxynol-9 vaginal spermicide formulations
- Tibolone histology of the endometrium and breast endpoints study: design of the trial and endometrial histology at baseline in postmenopausal women