About

Eastern Virginia Medical School

CONRAD was established in 1986 under a cooperative agreement between Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) and the U. S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

Eastern Virginia Medical School is the only school of medicine founded by a grassroots effort of the local community.  Planning for the medical school started in the early 1960s as the region turned its attention to improving the quality of care in the region. By the time EVMS matriculated its first class in 1973, the EVMS Foundation had attracted $17 million in gifts and pledges.

Today, 2,300 physicians hold degrees from EVMS, including 500 who practice in Hampton Roads and 300 who practice in other regions of Virginia. In addition, the school has a growing health professions program, with programs in biomedical sciences, public health, and other specialties. EVMS has put the region on the map internationally for biomedical research. Reproductive medicine and research in pediatrics, geriatrics, diabetes, and cancer are among the areas where EVMS excels.  For more information, go to www.evms.edu

1911 North Fort Myer Drive, Suite 900, Arlington, Virginia 22209   T: (703) 524-4744 | info@conrad.org